Ascend Indiana (Ascend) is a fast-growing nonprofit on a mission to address Indiana’s workforce misalignment. Ascend’s vision is for Indiana to be a place of economic opportunity for all. An initiative of Central Indiana Corporate Partnership (CICP), Ascend collaborates with corporate, education, philanthropic, and community partners, and is well-positioned to play a leadership role in addressing Indiana’s workforce challenges.
The Career Mentor connects early-in-career talent to Indiana internship and career opportunities within specific industries. The primary responsibilities of the Career Mentor include meeting one-on-one with a high volume of students, understanding their motivations and interests, and ultimately connecting them to career pathways in Indiana. This direct connection with talent is a critical piece of Ascend’s strategy to solve Indiana’s workforce gaps at scale. Finally, this individual supports the Director and the Vice President on high priority projects as assigned.
To be successful in this role you must be...
Charismatic and energized by a high volume of personal interactions.
- You will employ a sales-oriented mindset to connect with candidates and encourage them to move through the process.
- You conduct meaningful 1:1 conversations daily with students across the Midwest, connecting with 1,000+ candidates during the academic year.
- You seek to identify students’ career interests, motivations, barriers, and align these with internship and job opportunities in the Ascend Network.
- You educate individuals on the Indiana labor market and help them understand their value to our employer partners.
Able to manage relationships with hundreds of people.
- You build and maintain relationships with every candidate you meet to ensure they complete profiles and understand how to navigate the Ascend Network.
- You act as the candidate’s trusted advocate, sharing new roles and working with them through the application process.
- You track everything in Ascend’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform, allowing you to evaluate outcomes and constantly increase your own effectiveness by implementing, testing, and tracking results of new student engagement strategies.
- You evaluate data trends over time using both CRM and the Ascend Network to develop best practices for student engagement and relationship management.
- You build relationships with key faculty and staff members across the state and Midwest to identify and connect with their students.
Motivated by aggressive goals and driven to make an impact.
- You are organized and outcomes focused. You track your progress daily and react quickly if you are not on track to accomplishing your goals.
- You break down goals and develop weekly, quarterly, and yearly plans to achieve organizational objectives.
- You manage and report against goals, priorities, and objectives to the Senior Manager and Vice President.
- 3.0+ cumulative GPA from either an undergraduate or graduate institution.
- 1 - 3 years of experience in recruitment or sales preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of success in leading projects and achieving ambitious, quantifiable outcomes.
- A detail-oriented self-starter who can be given a need or objective, break it down into executable activities, identify questions that need to be asked, gather priorities and requirements, set and manage to milestones, and then execute effectively.
- Ability to learn new technology tools and processes quickly. Proficiency in Microsoft Suite preferred.
- Track record of successfully working collaboratively within a team.
- Demonstrate ethical handling of confidential information.
- Manager: Director of Talent Program Management, Ascend Indiana
- Office location: 16 Tech Innovation District with temporary remote work
- Work week: 40+ hours/week
- Travel: Statewide, 50% of the job will be remote on college/university campuses
CICP grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, disability, age, national origin, military service obligations, veteran status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law. CICP provides equal opportunity in wages, promotions, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.
Responsibilities for this role include interacting with student personally identifiable information (PII). As a condition of access, you are responsible for taking steps to protect the confidentiality of student PII in both electronic and physical form. All responsibilities relating to student PII must be conducted within the parameters of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).