Technical Publications Intern
The Technical Publications team at Brooks Automation is offering a compensated internship at its headquarters in Chelmsford, MA. This internship will run from mid-May through mid-August 2021, with flexibility on start and end dates.
This is an opportunity to participate in the craft of technical writing, exploring the requirements of hardware and software documentation, for both the semiconductor and life sciences industries. Our team consists of writers and illustrators who are creating user, installation, and maintenance information for industrial robots, automation systems, bio-storage devices, and many other products.
In addition to getting some direct experience writing for our team, we would also like to develop the candidate’s experience in the following:
- Documenting our Product Change Notice process, which uses our change control system to inform customers and service personnel of important changes to our products and their related publications.
- Working with our local team and writers in Europe and India to edit and improve our manuals and procedures.
- Using MadCap tools to help us prepare documents for translation.
- Participating in video and photo shoots in a laboratory or manufacturing environment.
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a hands-on technical publications team, continue to learn the writing craft, and make a real contribution in a short-term position.
The strongest candidates will have the following:
- Progress toward a degree in English, Journalism, or Communication Studies, ideally with a focus on Technical Writing
- Knowledge of MadCap Flare and its associated suite of products
- Sharp, succinct writing skills
- A desire to learn about hardware technical writing
- A willingness to visit labs and shop floors, to see, do, and ask questions