Public Relations Summer 2021 Intern
U.S. News & World Report is a digital first media company dedicated to helping consumers and business professionals make important decisions. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for more than 85 years. As a trusted authority providing empowerment and guidance that improves the quality of life for consumers and communities, U.S. News ultimately leads to better life decisions.
Are you looking to learn what it takes to do PR for a media company? Look no further than the U.S. News PR team! U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive and is currently seeking a summer intern in our Washington, D.C. office (currently remote position). The primary duty of this full-time (37.5 hours a week for 10 weeks), hourly paid position is to support the public relations department in executing PR efforts across the company. Tasks include but are not limited to monitoring press coverage, building coverage reports, building and updating media contact databases, and researching/drafting media pitches, press releases and fact sheets. This is a great opportunity for a PR/communications undergrad or recent graduate looking to gain direct, hands on experience while working with a team that is fun, creative and collaborative!
**Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter.**
- Public Relations/Communications/Journalism major
- Strong research and writing skills as this individual will be regularly drafting press releases, pitches, media alerts, fact sheets and talking points.
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- This intern will receive hands on experience in what it takes to do PR for a media company, while also learning how to handle external and internal communications, events, crisis management and creating PR/Social campaigns. This intern will support all verticals across the company and will work on communication strategy from education, news and health all the way to travel, money, autos and events.
- There will be many opportunities to work on U.S. News Live events and work closely with the events team to create buzz and speaker engagement around our webinars.
- The PR summer intern will receive training in how to pull press coverage and generate reports, build and update media contact databases, and research/draft media pitches, press releases and fact sheets for rankings projects including our Best Hospitals and Colleges franchises.
- The USN PR team is a collaborative team that is always looking to expand U.S. News’ PR reach through innovative and new ideas. We encourage brainstorming and welcome creative ideas that think outside the box. You will be a part of frequent brainstorm sessions where we think through new strategies to take our brand to the next level.
- Eligible candidates must be one of the following:
- Part-time or full-time students who have completed 24+ credit hours (rising sophomores/juniors/seniors) and are enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited college or university
- Part-time or full-time students enrolled in a graduate program at an accredited college or university
- December 2020 or May 2021 graduate (Summer Interns Only)
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, professionalism and maturity in the workplace
- Effective communicator in both written and spoken English
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter and ability to work independently, given the current remote-work environment
- Proficiency in use of MSOffice Suite and Google Docs
- 3.0 GPA or above preferred
Summer Intern Program Description:
- 10 weeks; ideally, starting on Tuesday, June 1 through Friday, August 6
- We expect interns to work 37.5 hours/week, Monday- Friday
- Internships will likely work remote
- All interns are paid $15/hour
- Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration