Position Summary/General Description:
A Cook follows recipes and prepares food items as directed, and in a uniform and consistent manner; maintains food and sanitation standards; and performs station duties in a fast paced environment under time constraints.
- Adhere to Ellis Entertainment, LLC (Ellis) Core Values and Policies & Procedures.
- Act as a role model within and outside the gaming and racing facility.
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward customers and co-workers.
- Consistently report to work on time prepared to perform duties of position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follow recipes and prepare food items, as directed, and in a uniform and consistent manner (e.g. Prepare food; season and cook food items which may include soups, meats, vegetables, and other food in accordance with proper cooking methods (proper cooking time and thermometer/food temperature requirements); recognize and correct product discrepancies and variations in quality, standards and specifications; organize and arrange cooked foods).
- Maintain high cleanliness and sanitation standards in accordance with Food Systems Food Safety & Sanitation guidelines and the HACCP System for the entire kitchen including walk-in refrigerator, freezer and dry storage area. Ensure compliance with all ServSafe and safety requirements. Oversee proper care, storage, use and cleaning of all tools and equipment.
- Maintain proper food rotation procedures (e.g. Label and date product, properly store and rotate perishables and left overs).
- Handle a fast paced environment with multiple tasks under time constraint.
- Perform station duties (e.g., fry, griddle, flat top, in an entertaining and engaging manner)
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost
- Effectively communicates with management, team members (e.g., Service and kitchen maintenance personnel), and guests to address any concerns/needs of guests and/or other employees.
- Relieve Sous Chefs while providing assistance in all kitchen areas and other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the development and preparation of menus, food set-up, and service.
- Open and/or close kitchen as necessary.
- Perform general maintenance duties, including mopping floors, wiping countertops, cleaning food prep areas.
- Follow instructions.
- Perform basic arithmetic.
- Build relationships and loyalty with guests through sincere and meaningful interactions (e.g., learn guests’ names and preferences; connect with them individually and professionally; smile; make eye contact and verbally greet guests from arrival to the property through departure; and provide fast and friendly service to guests).
- Be a team player (e.g., work toward team goals and foster a collaborative and positive work environment; put the team first; assist coworkers; treat all coworkers with kindness, courtesy and respect; never engage in negativity; maintain openness to coaching, learning and improving; receptive to change and willingness to embrace challenges with team-spirit).
- Develop a thorough knowledge of services, amenities, surroundings, providing accurate directions, and information for guest inquiries about promotions and special events.
- At all times maintain a courteous, positive and professional working relationship with all Ellis Park personnel and the general public (e.g., coworkers, clients and vendors).
- Work under pressure; maintain regular and punctual attendance including working odd and unusual hours, weekends and holidays.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned.
Education & Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Must have one-two years of relevant work experience in restaurant or food capacity.
- Two years’ experience in high volume food service operation/preparation is preferred.
Licensing & Certification:
- Obtain Serv-Safe Certification within ninety days from date of hire and/or transfer.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid license through the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC).
Computer Equipment, Software, Machinery:
- Operate ovens, meat slicers, mixers, buffalo chopper, grills, fryers, etc.
- Operate kitchen equipment and compactors (e.g., dish machine, cardboard/garbage compactor).
Essential Physical Requirements:
- The job requires the ability to bend over, hear, reach overhead, stand for long periods of time, and repetitively use hands 51-100% of the time.
- The job requires the ability to crouch/stoop, talk, turn, twist and walk 25-50% of the time.
- The job requires the ability to push/pull, lift, slide/transfer 1-25 lbs. 51-100% of the time.
- The job requires the ability to push/pull, lift, slide/transfer 25-50 lbs. 25-50% of the time
Essential Mental Demands:
- The job requires the ability to organize and plan 51-100% of the time.
- The job requires the ability to problem solve and make decisions 25-50% of the time.
Work Environment (inside/outside):
- The job is performed indoors and outdoors with exposure to hot/cold temperatures in a kitchen environment.
- ·Must provide and maintain a valid driver’s license or state ID.
- Must obtain proper footwear for safety and health.