Milwaukee Succeeds Communications Manager
Milwaukee Succeeds (MKES) is a broad-based, community collaboration that aims to improve educational outcomes for every child in Milwaukee, in every school, cradle to career. Using a data-driven process that focuses resources on high-impact strategies, Milwaukee Succeeds will begin to move the needle on what works for kids, and better position our children and our community for a successful future.
To achieve its mission, MKES works to convene a wide range of stakeholders to identify and implement strategies that improve educational outcomes in the early childhood education and high school spaces. Our push for education equity centers racial equity, sharing power with new sources of community leadership and taking action that results in systems change. As part of the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, Milwaukee Succeeds reflects the Foundation’s commitment to education, rooted in 100 years of history in the Milwaukee region.
You can make a difference, as Milwaukee Succeeds is seeking a Communications Manager! This position is responsible for elevating the brand image of Milwaukee Succeeds through consistent messaging and strategy. This role oversees internal and external communications by leading the development and implementation of the annual communications plan including print, social media, email and website content. The incumbent aids in the preparation of presentations and/or speeches to support community meetings in partnership with colleagues.
- Develops and executes a multi-platform strategic communications plan that includes social media, website, reports, constituents update emails, community campaigns and other written communications.
- Creates culturally relevant, targeted communications for targeted stakeholder groups.
- Manages and updates all outreach platforms including websites, social media platforms, email marketing software and graphic design software in partnership with AmeriCorps VISTAS.
- Co-creates and oversees the collection of data used to track progress toward communications goals and be able to data to drive continuous improvement in partnership with the Data Manager and AmeriCorps VISTAS.
- Co-facilitates meetings and events both in person and virtual while aiding the preparation of presentations and speeches.
- Provides logistical supports for Zoom meetings including managing breakout rooms, conducting surveys, resolving technical issues, and monitoring participant engagement.
- Builds long-term relationships with influencers and key stakeholders to support community engagement communications efforts aligned with annual initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in communications-related field and/or equivalent experience required.
- Five (5) or more years of relevant work experience required, preferably in the nonprofit or education sector.
- Experience with technical and creative writing projects, as well as managing complex projects required.
- Experience in program development, evaluation and culturally responsive practices preferred.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including ability to present concepts verbally.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint specifically), Adobe Design Suite, email marketing software, content management systems and social media.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital/social media.
- Ability to synthesize complex information and communicate in an accessible and compelling style.
- Strong analytical thinking and decision-making skills, including problem anticipation and resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of constituents, utilizing multi-cultural intelligence, appreciation and respect.
- Must be organized and able to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Confidence to lead and facilitate group meetings and events both in person and virtually including the ability to manage logistical support for Zoom meetings of various sizes.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and problem-solve issues, all with a positive and professional approach to management.
- A valid and current driver’s license and vehicle is required.
Application Instructions: Please include resume, cover letter and salary requirements when applying. Writing sample required.
Benefits: We offer an excellent benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision, flexible spending, life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off (PTO), educational assistance and more!
Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently operating with employees working remotely. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely in the interim. We recognize that at this moment, during the pandemic, it is a uniquely difficult time for most people and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
The Greater Milwaukee Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of diverse backgrounds to apply. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.