Job Title: Office Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
We are an equal opportunity employer that sets out to inspire, educate and engage people to serve as lifelong stewards for animals, their habitats and their conservation, both locally and from a far. Together, we can preserve and enhance the legacy of the zoo and its species for future generations to come! We are Nebraska's #1 tourist attraction and consistently ranked among the top zoos in the world!
About the team:
A team of about 300 full-time and 650 part-time staff members strong, Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium benefits the lives of more than 1,415 species across 162 acres of land. We also support the efforts of numerous field conservation projects and research projects that help ensure a future for endangered and critically endangered flora and fauna around the world, even right here in Nebraska! Our team makes a big impart and every role is essential to move our conservation mission forward. From the much-needed Keepers to care for our species to the important Food and Beverage employees helping us gain funds to further continue our mission. This is definitely a unique place to work, employees are exposed to a fun atmosphere, where each workday is never the same. Our zoo is world-class with unmatched scenery to help you get through your duties!
There’s just something about living in Omaha. Something that makes you feel alive and in the moment. Maybe it’s the shorter drive times or the lower cost of living. Or maybe it’s the world-class dining, arts and entertainment that are never too far away. Most likely, it’s the combination of those things that help you settle in and show out, living your best life in one of America’s most up-and-coming cities. Here are a few things that make Omaha easy for us to call home!
- Work: The average commute is 20.2 minutes. #8 City for the Best Work-Life Balance. (Kisi, 2019)
- Cost of living: 27% less than the national average. A one-bedroom apartments rent is 21% below average. (National Association of Realtors, “Median Sales Price of Existing Single-Family Homes for Metropolitan Areas”)
- Hobbies: Home to 85+ miles of paved, interconnected trails for walking, jogging and biking. 30+ lake communities along with 14 state parks all within 40 miles. (Yelp, 2017)
About the role:
We are seeking an Office Coordinator in Education to maintain the daily functions of office, customer service, and assisting the Vice President of Education. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Education.
Duties and Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- The education Office Coordinator is responsible for scheduling and processing all types of education programs and maintaining the education offices at Omaha’s Zoo and Aquarium and Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park.
- Manage facility usage through Centeman (reservation system).
- Manage and maintain education websites, webstores, master calendars, education advertising monitors, Centeman, Wordfly, newsletter, and social media to assure all programs and activities are updated in a timely manner.
- Manage and process reservations, payments, refunds, credits, billings, and invoices for all education programs including classes, day camps, overnights, outreach/distance learning, tours/ student workshops, Little Lions tuition, and scout classes.
- Weekly communication to education staff to notify of changes and additions of education programs.
- Attend meetings to assure department needs are being communicated and met.
- Oversees education office supply budget.
- Answer phones, emails, and return messages.
- Process and prepare any mails confirmation letters and panda docs to all customers.
- Record weekly staff meeting notes and share with all full time and part time education staff.
- Prepare, manage, and process Title 1/ sponsor groups.
- Manage and maintain unpaid balances, outstanding invoices, billing, Pos, and credit card reconciliation for department.
- Prepare quarterly and annual statistical reports.
- Assist in preparing Zoo Academy documents and communication.
- Prepare and submit Zoo Academy attendance report when office assistance is not present.
- Assist with preparing Association of Zoos and Aquariums reports for submission.
- Assist and administer survey result documents to appropriate managers.
- Manage and maintain department records, procedure manuals, copier, and printer.
- Maintain and prepare for closure of classroom, meeting space, and huddle rooms daily.
- Trouble shoot IT concerns with webstore, Centeman, and equipment by working closely with appropriate zoo staff.
- Supervise part time office assistants.
- Train and work closely with part time office staff.
- Meet weekly with the Vice President of Education.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have flexibility in scheduling. Ability to work: Monday-Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm and Friday 7:00am-4:00pm, with the ability to work weekends, holidays and after- hour assignments
- High school degree or GED equivalent is required. Degree in communication, marketing, English, or education is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience working in an office environment is required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Social Media, and other computer programs.
- Certified notary preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of how-to setup and trouble shoot AV equipment, cameras, laptops, iPad, printers, and copiers.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to drive on and off zoo grounds.
Candidates might be required to pass a pre-employment background check, drug test, negative TB test, and possess a valid driver’s license with a good history.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Must be able to walk long distances across the zoo.
- Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to kneel, bend, twist, reach above head, climb, use hands to signal, project voice, and hear through headsets.
- Will lift, push, pull, and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds using safe and proper lifting methods.
- There can be occasions where this position will be exposed to the elements or conduct its function in a zoo/aquarium environment.
Eligible employees at Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium are provided a wide range of benefits. Throughout the hiring process we will provide you with more benefit details and which ones apply to your role.
- 401(k) savings plan.
- Flexible spending account.
- Medical insurance.
- Dental insurance.
- Vision insurance.
- Employee assistance program.
- Life insurance.
- Long-term disability.
- Voluntary term life insurance.
- Vacation, sick leave, holiday and paid-time off (PTO) accrual.
- Uniforms are provided.
- Free annual tickets for rides.
Part-Time (the benefits below also apply to full-time staff)
- Free Zoo and Wildlife Safari Park membership for you and your immediate family.
- Employee discounts.
- Behind-the-scenes sneak peek at new exhibits.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the EEOC.