Entry Level - Associate Designer (Federal)
Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
As an Associate Designer, you’ll focus on customer and employee strategies that explore opportunities to improve digital innovation, addressing user needs and designing world-class digital experiences. You’ll create user experience designs and prototypes to test your ideas. You’ll share your knowledge and collaborate with your team to address ambiguous, complex problems and projects. Applying User Experience, Design Thinking, and Information Architecture methods, you’ll help to uncover user and business requirements in the context of the technical landscape. Join us, as we are a next generation services company dedicated to creating transformative ideas that get our clients into the future, first.
Work you could do as an Associate Designer:
UX and UI work such as: creating wireframes, visual interfaces and prototypes; annotating the wireframes; collaborating with other designers, researchers, consultants and developers; making sure the interaction is getting recorded and addressed correctly.
- Conduct user research leveraging IBM Enterprise Design Thinking and do direct user research as part of managing a project.
- Lead client interactions related to design thinking workshops.
- Supporting a Senior Designer on UX and UI production tasks, getting and incorporating the feedback, and working very closely with developers and testers on a day-to-day basis.
- Visual Design work, such as creating delightful concepts and exploring art of the possible, creating mock-ups and prototypes from sketches and wireframes, working closely with clients, senior designers, front-end developers to implement dynamic human-centered digital solutions.
- Create storyboards, layouts, impactful presentations, graphics, data visualizations, and other design artifacts in preparation for client meetings or product development.
- Participate in design workshops, incorporate input from multiple stakeholders, communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, outline digital experiences screen by screen, working with front-end development teams.
Washington, DC Metro Area
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Professional or University-based design experience with a portfolio representing design artifacts and associated projects.
- Experience working with design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, XD), Sketch, InVision, as well as communication and workflow platforms like Slack, JIRA, Workfront.
- Understanding of the principles and methods for human-centered design including user research, rapid ideation and iteration, prototyping, and user testing.
- Ability to communicate design approaches and complex situations clearly and simply (via voice, words, and pictures), listen actively, and convey difficult messages in a positive manner.
Graphic Design, Web Design, Graphic Art, Fine Arts, Human Computer Interaction
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Demonstrated accountability and adaptability with willingness to readily and voluntarily take ownership of highly challenging tasks and problems, even beyond initial scope of responsibility.
- Thorough, design-focused, and analytical with the capability to apply logic to solve problems.
- Possesses deep empathy for users and their needs, humility to recognize the limits of assumptions, and boldness in the conception of solutions.
- Effective interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate and work with individuals, strengthening relationships to achieve win-win solutions.
- A passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand and assimilate different points of view.
- Background in Human-Computer Interaction / User Experience methodologies, Graphic Design, Visual art.
- Willingness to travel up to 100% of the time.