Blog Writer Intern Summer 2022
Focus of the Internship
Intern will gain experience in blog writing, interviewing techniques, and SEO.
● Knowledge of Project Chimps’ mission and values
● Exposure to the operations of a chimpanzee sanctuary
● Gain knowledge and educational experience in various communications skills by working on a committee with communications managers
● Attend and participate in weekly virtual meetings
● Orientation will be scheduled the first day of the internship and includes the following: history and tour of Project Chimps, description of rules, chimpanzee behavior, and chimpanzee care protocols.
● Intern will be given a manual and will be trained on the particular aspects of their role.
● Intern will receive online training via CollaborNation. Once an intern finishes the required courses, they retain access to the full library of online courses.
● Work under the supervision of the Manager of Communications to create a series of articles
● Interview Project Chimps personnel and develop engaging stories appropriate to various online platforms including social platforms, website, digital newsletters, and blog
● Gather digital media assets including photos and video under the supervision of the Manager of Communications and Chimpanzee Caregiver Supervisors
● Produce compelling and platform-appropriate digital content
● Attend weekly meetings with supervisor
Level of Difficulty
(physical, mental, emotional)
● Physical difficulty is Level 1; most of the work occurs in an office setting
● Mental difficulty is Level 4; requires learning procedures and protocols; independent project work requires critical thinking skills
● Emotional difficulty is Level 2; intern will be around chimpanzees that are retired from biomedical research
Qualifications/Requirements for Intern Applicants
● Must be at least 18 years old
● Able to meet the requirements outlined in the Essential Capabilities document with or without reasonable accommodation
● Pursuing a degree in Communications or related field
● Passion for both animals and storytelling
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Maturity and judgement for online dialogue and engagement
● Proficiency with Microsoft Word
● Familiarity with WordPress preferred
● Nonprofit and community service experience preferred
● Must arrive on time for virtual meetings
● Must learn and follow all guidelines and policies of Project Chimps and follow directions given by staff.
● Candidates must submit the required paperwork and pass a background check before being assigned. At least two letters of recommendation must be submitted with the application form when applying for an internship. Copies of any academic requirements should also be submitted. International interns are solely responsible for obtaining any required visas.
● Should have access to a computer and ability to login into an online volunteer communication site to receive updates
Internship Start Date
Our internships are seasonal. We have flexible start dates so we can work with your school schedule (if applicable).
Internship Time Commitment
20 hours per week for a minimum of 12 weeks, flexible upon request
Number of Concurrent Internship Openings
● This is an unpaid position. On-site housing may be available for interns committing to at least 32 hours per week and will be discussed after receipt of the initial application; please note your interest in housing accommodations in your cover letter. Housing is co-ed, and has two bedrooms, kitchen, living room, and is equipped with internet. Food must be provided by the intern if staying on-site. Parking is available for interns with vehicles. The property and house are non-smoking. Staff or volunteers will provide interns with weekly trips into town for grocery shopping.
● Interns will have no physical contact with the chimpanzees.